Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 23:19:12 UTC 2019

On Friday, 19 July 2019 at 22:12:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> To be honest, while I understand W&A's stance of wanting to
> stabilize the language and thereby (hopefully) drive adoption,
> IMO things would be better served if we started working towards
> D3.

I generally agree, but I was encouraged by Andrei's relatively
recent post
(https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7j3s0$15n7$1@digitalmars.com)

"We've been worrying too much about changing things."

"We should do what C, C++, Java, C# and many other languages do -
leave past mistakes in maintenance mode and move on with new
stuff."

This "add, but do no harm" is a good compromise, though it's much
harder to avoid the "weird sh**" because that new stuff often
interacts badly with the existing stuff and often limits what new
stuff can be done.  But it's a better stance than that of the
past 5 years.

It was quite exciting to see that from Andrei and it prompted me
to get back into contributing to D.  I think D can have a
brighter future if that attitude is embraced by all.  Now we just
need more talent, manpower, and much better cooperation.

Mike