Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

XavierAP n3minis-git at yahoo.es
Sat Jul 20 11:59:56 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 20 July 2019 at 11:02:36 UTC, NaN wrote:

> I think both can / should be done. Really nail down where the
> end is for D2, whats in and what will be fixed. And start
> exploratory work on D3, but it should be "only use D3 if you're
> OK it breaking hard and often" and keep it like that
> indefinitely. At least until the major stuff is really worked
> out. D has often felt like living in the house at the same time
> you're renovating it. And that isn't a good situation.

Sounds hood. But first of all D has to identify the rooy cause of
weird shit appearing in such a young language. D has delievered
great successes in some areas (metaprogramming, productivity,
performance) but it compares unfavorably to any other language.
C++ hasn't done such a bad job if you consider it's 30 years old;
it keeps adding modern features and deprecating square parsecs of
parse space. C# also deprecated e.g. non generic containers and
interfaces based on System.Object, when they added generics; but
it remains a remarkably neat language after adding any new modern
features and syntactic sugar.