Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Ron Tarrant rontarrant at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 14:50:44 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 21 July 2019 at 00:22:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> D has some huge advantages over Rust.
>
> For example, D has a familiar syntax and jargon. For another,
> you'll be able to move to memory safety incrementally with D,
> you won't have to rewrite your app from the start.

I hear ya, Walter. This was one of the reasons I adopted D. Off
and on, over a period of about ten years, I dug into C#, Mono,
F#, PHP-Win, and anything else I could find. All I wanted was C
_without_ the headache of managing memory and _with_ the many
advantages of OOP.

I also, like Microsoft, didn't want to be at the mercy of a
corporation that might decide to pull the plug without notice...
which is almost ironic if you think about it. :)