Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 03:44:48 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 23 July 2019 at 00:47:09 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> D can easily call python and Lua libraries.  I'm working on C#
> though it's not the number one priority for me right now.

What's your goals with aiming C#? What's the use case?

I did wrapping mono for unity engine interop, however despite
that D has many similarities with C#, its VM API is not designed
for such scenario. I've also read Unity devs experience with .net
core, and they were having troubles with internal calls(i.e.
registering native function to implement .net method), because
unlike Mono in .NET Core those are hardcoded.

And my biggest problem with Mono is that it seems there is no way
to bind native function as delegate, that means events are not
possible without writing C# wrappers, and having to write them
manually defeats the whole purpose. There is still at least one
possible option, to implement utility that automatically
generates glue code necessary between C#/D, but Roslyn based
plugin itself will add ~15Mb to distribution of 1Mb D plugin. But
sure, this is not a problem comparing to monolithic UE4 build
~100Mb executable...