Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 23 08:16:01 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 21 July 2019 at 00:22:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/18/2019 5:12 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
>> ... and D could complete better with Rust if it had
>> @safe-by-default and statically-check ownership/borrowing
>> mechanism as Walter recently proposed.
>
> D has some huge advantages over Rust.
>
> For example, D has a familiar syntax and jargon. For another,
> you'll be able to move to memory safety incrementally with D,
> you won't have to rewrite your app from the start. D's
> metaprogramming abilities far exceed Rust's. Etc.

To my point of view Dlang should focus on libraries and services.

If the question is what to be done to make D language popular.
The answer is simple:
1/ libraries on trending field: AI, big data, cloud computing,
web, containerization...

I think W&A should focus the energy to provide some open sources
tools on these fields

2/ Some services to get a reasonable quality of life: which is
explained by Margo ->
https://forum.dlang.org/post/kxtzthubfuwiszxgejkf@forum.dlang.org