Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jul 23 10:15:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-07-23 at 03:01 +0000, Exil via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> The problem is who has control of these things. I've made pull
> requests to dub, they just sit around and nothing gets done. Very
> few people have access to actually enact change. Don't say stuff
> like "you have to do action yourself" cause it's not on me or
> anyone else. There's hundreds of pull requests for DMD and DUB
> combined. There's only so much people can do when pull requests
> sit idle for months/years, especially worse when there's no
> responding. When something somewhat default appears, no one on
> the D team is willing to do anything about it. They all look to
> Walter, and Walter is usually to busy doing something else so he
> never gets around to it. But yah, a very naive thing to say
> considering the current state of how things are managed with the
> project. God bless Seb for having enhanced permission status ^TM.

Go and Rust got this right from the very outset – make the standard library as
small as possible and have everything else provided through user
packages/crates. Go only got this partly right in that there was no central
repository, just DVCS packages. Rust got this very right in that it has a
central repository and Cargo can use DVCS crates and even local file crates.
This creates a vibrant community with some competition (which has bad as well
as good sides to it).

I am sure Dub can do for D most of the things Cargo does for Rust, but the
crucial difference is Phobos in D vs std in Rust. Phobos is driven by the
"batteries included" philosophy which is a philosophy past it's time. Python
and C++ are also failing to come to terms with this.

What D needs is to rip everything out of Phobos that is not actually needed
for the compiler to compile code and put it into the Dub repository as
separate packages – this is what the Rust team did, and it was the right thing
to do.

If this means creating D v3, then that seems like a really good thing to do.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200