Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jul 23 10:21:01 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 22:08 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> But I suppose the mobile market is intrinsically quite different
> from some other areas?  For some kinds of internal enterprise
> code one can't realistically just throw away the old code and
> write new code because there is quite a lot of fiddly domain
> knowledge embedded in that legacy code and the consequence-based
> calculus means that the bar to trusting tests to catch everything
> is quite high.  Probably a file system or kernel might have
> similar constraints for different reasons.

As I understand it, the major issue is that the JVM on Android is quite
ancient and so is the version of Java that can be used. Kotlin brings modern
programming techniques to the Android JVM as it is and so has a major
advantage over using Java on that platform. In the Web server and desktop
application world, most organisations are at least on JDK 8 if not JDK 11. So
the version of Java is less ancient and so less at a disadvantage compared to
Kotlin.

> And I do wonder if the impression one gets from tech media
> (social and otherwise) leads to a distorted perception of
> reality.  People from mobile, web etc have a much higher
> propensity to talk about their work than people in other kinds of
> enterprises, and yet the latter set is quite important, and I
> would guess in aggregate would hold much greater economic
> significance.

[…]

True a lot of Android applications are constructed by big organisations, and
done quietly, but the Android platform has a much larger number of small
organisation and individuals who are very vocal compared to the server arena.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200