Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 23 21:48:58 UTC 2019

On 7/22/2019 5:47 PM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> I think whether D is right for you also depends on time preference of the people
> involved and the culture.  I don't think it's a coincidence that D is
> surprisingly popular in Germany and Japan and is less appealing to Americans
> than one might have guessed.
Curiously, back in the Zortech C++ days, we got a lot of traction in England,
Germany, and Japan. Other countries, not so much. I think we sold 2 copies in
France :-)

Clearly, it's cultural, but I don't know much more than that.

England might be because Zortech was a British company. Germany and Japan, I
speculate that culturally they attach less importance to social proof and more
importance on specific merits. But I don't know.