There's a problem in the D economic system

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 03:44:20 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 23 July 2019 at 21:22:38 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

> The reply from the foundation was something like : "we cant do
> that because now we are a legal entity and also this would make
> other contributors jealous".

Like it or not, the D Language Foundation is a legal entity that
must abide by the rules. They can't just be sending money out to
anyone who asks for it via email. Payments made have to either be
for something that was made public beforehand or through
contracts. Otherwise, there are going to be legal issues.

I talked with a company a few weeks back that wants to offer
bounties for several Bugzilla issues. I'm currently awaiting news
that they have approval for it and know what their budget is.
When I get the word I'll be setting up a bounty system on
Flipcause. The company will seed it, applying money to the issues
they care about. Anyone will be able to donate to those issues or
request to set up a bounty on other issues. The Foundation will
then be able to pay out bounties to anyone who fixes those issues.

But it simply can't happen by asking for money via email, no
matter how much anyone would like to help you. As an alternative,
you could always set up a PayPal account to accept donations, or
a Patreon account to fund your bug fixing. I'm sure there are
people here who would be willing to help out.

Unfortunately, I can't estimate when the bounty system will be
ready because it depends on the company. However, if anyone is
willing to apply a bounty to an issue right now, then they can
let me know and I can launch it sooner. I just need a specific
Bugzilla issue and a dollar amount to get it started.