There's a problem in the D economic system

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:03:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 2:25 PM Basile B. via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> This is a bold, very bold post.
>
> I think there's a problem in the economic system of the D lang
> foundation.
> And because of this problem I'll stop contributing to the
> compiler and the standard library.
>
> Basically what has opened my eyes is this situation: like often I
> have money problems. Since six months I have fixed something like
> 50 dmd bugs. So a natural reflex was to contact the D foundation,
> to ask for a little "bounty".
>
> The reply from the foundation was something like : "we cant do
> that because now we are a legal entity and also this would make
> other contributors jealous".
> Ok so I propose a serious project... I even reserve **three
> weeks** for it... No replies nothing.
>
> So you've lost me. If someone in needs cant even get 50 bucks
> from the foundation, in retribution for 50 bug fixes, there's a
> serious problem.
>
> Goodbye.
>
> Basile B.

I gave you some money, but the thing is, D contribution is not a paid
effort. Contributors understand this, and we all have day-jobs.
You would need to specifically negotiate a paid contract of employment
if you want to earn a salary contributing to the D core (and there
would need to be such positions available), or propose some projects
or developments that *users* would pay to have.

There are lots of possible developments in the D ecosystem that I
would pay to have accelerated, if you want to fund yourself this way,
you need to be more strategic. Perhaps choose some focus areas and ask
for bounties; some people might support you that way if they have some
money spare to advance their interests.

I would offer a $50 bounty for every non-trivial issue I've logged in
bugzilla, maybe more for some if that helped motivate people to
address them.
For most contributors though, it seems money doesn't affect their
motivation; it's mostly time-limited... and appetite for masochism.