There's a problem in the D economic system

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:20:43 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 08:47:26 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Apart from the legal issues that were mentioned above and make
> sense, of course, why wasn't a proper bounty system implemented
> years ago? Are you telling people that the years since the
> founding of the D Foundation have been wasted in this respect?

Someone set up the bounty source account years ago. And
apparently no one was taking advantage of it.

> And now you say that you "cannot estimate when the bounty
> system will be ready because it depends on the company" only to
> inform people in the next sentence that you could launch it
> sooner, because all that is needed is an issue and a dollar
> amount. Was the community informed about this? If not why
> wasn't the community informed earlier?

There is a company that wanted to pay out bounties and approached
me for ideas how to go about it. I figured out how to do it with
Flipcause and let them know. Now I'm waiting to hear what their
budget is so we can pull the trigger. I was planning to make a
blog post about it as soon as we got it set up. I only mention it
here because it's on topic. If someone wants to apply a bounty to
an issue sooner, then I can get it going sooner. Just let me know.

> The thing is that Basil is right when he says that there is
> something wrong with the system. You can go on about it being a
> voluntary effort all you want, but the fact of the matter is
> that if the Foundation had done its job properly, this would
> never have happened. Basil could have just picked a bounty. So
> don't deflect from the real issue the OP raised by talking
> about his approach / expectations etc. Your answer shows that
> the D Foundation does have a problem here. And then this gem:
>
> "I just went through my email history to confirm it. Sebastian
> contacted BountySource last year and they refunded all of the
> bounties that were in the system at that time to the respective
> donors. I would have expected the listed issues to have been
> deleted as well.
>
> However, the account is still open and a couple of bounties
> have been posted since then, so it obviously still works."
>
> Oh, man. Does anybody in the Foundation know what everybody
> else is doing? Is the D Foundation just a bureaucratic facade
> and in reality it's the amateurish "chaos as usual"?

Dude. Chill. Sebastian deactivated the BountySource stuff last
year before we launched our OpenCollective page. I was CC'ed on
the email chain. My memory isn't perfect and the fact that the
bounties are sill listed there was both surprising and confusing.
I had to go back through my inbox to verify that, yes,
bountysource did send an email saying they had refunded the money
to the donors.

> It'd be a pity if you lost Basil as a contributor, but this
> situation could have been avoided by better planning. If I were
> you, I'd try to make him change his mind, but instead you chose
> to be all official about it and give him a lecture about the
> law and voluntary efforts. This flies in the face of your usual
> mantra of D being a community effort and a "meritocracy". Your
> handling of this issue doesn't exactly encourage people to
> contribute, because they see what they get at the end of the
> day, a kick up the a**e. You know, a bit of common sense can
> get you a long way.

I'm not sure what you're accusing us of here. Not having the
foresight to provide bounties for fixing issues? The BountySource
page was there for years and *no one was fixing the issues*. So
when we shut it down, it really didn't seem like a priority to do
the same thing again.

No one "lectured" Basile. He was given valid reasons why the
Foundation can't issue payments for past contributions. He was
told we're planning to set up a new bounty system. That was
almost three weeks ago. Now he's decided to criticize the
Foundation about it publicly. I responded so that everyone
understands why he couldn't be paid. I don't see how anyone gave
him a "kick up the a**e".