Tiny D suitable for embedded JIT

a11e99z black80 at bk.ru
Wed Jul 24 10:11:37 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 19:16:28 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

>>> Hi - not really as I don't know what this does. In any case
>>> my understanding is the interface between the front-end and
>>> GDC/LDC is at the level of ASTs.
>

>> The input is the AST, the output to the backend is some form
>> of IR in essence.
>>
>> It just maps one understanding of the code to another form,
>> that's all.
>
> Okay - I was trying to understand if there was some sort of IR
> that is intermediate stage before codegen - but I couldn't see
> this. Also the code is quite hard to follow without enough
> documentation of what's going on. Plus lots of global state I
> think which is fine for a command line tool but not a JIT
> engine. But really I looked only for a short while so please
> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I decided to use a cut-down version of Eclipse OMR - the
> backend is much smaller than LLVM, although not as small as I
> would like. But I hope to create a more trimmed version in due
> course. (https://github.com/dibyendumajumdar/nj)
>
> Regards

Just saw your post and I have some questions:
- does OMR supports value types or only ref types as JVM(all
classes) and Lua(all tables) used?
- (too few infos about ORM) did ORM implement different types of
GC or just support?
- with what lib you fill more comfort to work: LLVM or ORM?
- what lib do best optimization? (probably LLVM)

also see the Terra project for Lua http://terralang.org/
probably its more useful than Ravi cuz the last one try to
optimize Lua and Ravi at same time but Terra optimize only
Terra-parts with comparable performance as best BLAS/ATLAS-libs
do (see PDFs about it). for now Terra looks abandoned but
probably cuz nothing add to it.