There's a problem in the D economic system

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jul 24 10:11:40 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 09:20:43 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 08:47:26 UTC, Chris wrote:
>

>> It'd be a pity if you lost Basil as a contributor, but this
>> situation could have been avoided by better planning. If I
>> were you, I'd try to make him change his mind, but instead you
>> chose to be all official about it and give him a lecture about
>> the law and voluntary efforts. This flies in the face of your
>> usual mantra of D being a community effort and a
>> "meritocracy". Your handling of this issue doesn't exactly
>> encourage people to contribute, because they see what they get
>> at the end of the day, a kick up the a**e. You know, a bit of
>> common sense can get you a long way.
>
> I'm not sure what you're accusing us of here. Not having the
> foresight to provide bounties for fixing issues? The
> BountySource page was there for years and *no one was fixing
> the issues*. So when we shut it down, it really didn't seem
> like a priority to do the same thing again.

Exactly, not having the foresight of installing a payment system
(of any sort), if paying money for bug fixes / issues is
apparently such a complicated matter. And then there was a bounty
system floating around somewhere, but you didn't exactly know or
remember.

> No one "lectured" Basile. He was given valid reasons why the
> Foundation can't issue payments for past contributions. He was
> told we're planning to set up a new bounty system. That was
> almost three weeks ago. Now he's decided to criticize the
> Foundation about it publicly. I responded so that everyone
> understands why he couldn't be paid. I don't see how anyone
> gave him a "kick up the a**e".

My point was this: a) he was right that there is a problem with
the "economic system", given that you failed to install a payment
system, and b) given that he's a long-time contributor you could
have approached the issue in a more sensitive manner. That's just
common sense or EI / EL [1]. But maybe the DLF doesn't really
care? I wonder.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence