There's a problem in the D economic system

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Jul 25 09:37:38 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 09:02:22 UTC, NaN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 13:21:48 UTC, Chris wrote:
>
> He does come across a bit mystical but what he says neither
> advocating the status quo nor is it anything particularly
> profound. Its plain common sense. If you want something to
> happen, start yourself and try to pull people with you. Its one
> of the oldest adages... "Lead by example". Whining and
> criticising other people because they arn't doing what you
> think they should be doing only works when you're actually
> paying them. And even then its not a great way to motivate
> people because if all you do is moan and criticise people stop
> listing. Doesn't matter if what you say is right or wrong, the
> delivery method kills any chance you have of being heard.

See, you're using the same lines "stop whining", "do it
yourself". Great advice, I've given this advice to people too,
with the difference that I only give this advice when I know that
they actually _can_ change things. In D all this talk about
"community effort" and "we're all in the same boat" (no, we're
not) is just a smokescreen. It only serves to a) give the
"followers" the impression that they are part of something and b)
to shut critics up. You've just admitted yourself that it
"[d]oesn't matter if what you say is right or wrong". So it's not
about the issue at hand, it's about suppressing criticism. At
least you're honest about it. Mind you, if it is more important
_how_ something is said and _who_ says it then _what_ is being
said, then you're entering the realm of ideology. It's certainly
no longer engineering.