Windows devs - how are you building dmd, druntime, phobos?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 13:51:13 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 13:12:58 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> For dmd, neither win32.mak or win64.mak work for me at all. I'm
> at a loss as to how they work for the autotester. Fortunately I
> learned about build.d on github, and that works fine.
>
> But then I tried druntime and couldn't build that with the
> Windows makefile. There's no build.d there though, at least not
> with that name. The makefile seems to try creating directories
> more than once and fails.
>
> Given all the above, how is that people on Windows manage to
> work on the 3 core D repos? I'm trying to fix the situation
> (mostly so I can get the dmd bash tests to run there), but
> first I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong.

I've never been able to figure it out.  My advice is don't even
waste another moment trying to figure it out.  Just create a
build.d file in Phobos and druntime right now and get busy.  It
will be be a more time-consuming task (maybe a day or two), but
it will be more satisfying, you'll learn a lot, and you'll be
doing us all a most valuable service.

Mike