Windows devs - how are you building dmd, druntime, phobos?

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 15:25:48 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 13:12:58 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> For dmd, neither win32.mak or win64.mak work for me at all. I'm
> at a loss as to how they work for the autotester. Fortunately I
> learned about build.d on github, and that works fine.
>
> But then I tried druntime and couldn't build that with the
> Windows makefile. There's no build.d there though, at least not
> with that name. The makefile seems to try creating directories
> more than once and fails.
>
> Given all the above, how is that people on Windows manage to
> work on the 3 core D repos? I'm trying to fix the situation
> (mostly so I can get the dmd bash tests to run there), but
> first I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Bear in mind I've build all 3 repos repeatedly on Windows
> before...

Almost every time I build under windows I end up having to Google
"dlang dmd build under windows" and click on the wiki page to
refresh my memory on how to do it. There are alot of steps.

For example, you have to have a particular directory structure
that's deeper than a Linux build, and you need to set DM_HOME and
HOST_DC and you need to make sure you're using DigitalMars make
rather than gnu make.