Windows devs - how are you building dmd, druntime, phobos?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Jul 25 16:14:03 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 13:12:58 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> For dmd, neither win32.mak or win64.mak work for me at all. I'm
> at a loss as to how they work for the autotester. Fortunately I
> learned about build.d on github, and that works fine.
>
> But then I tried druntime and couldn't build that with the
> Windows makefile. There's no build.d there though, at least not
> with that name. The makefile seems to try creating directories
> more than once and fails.

Yup, I never got around creating build.d for druntime and Phobos
and it looks like no one else has the motivation/time to do so
either.

> Given all the above, how is that people on Windows manage to
> work on the 3 core D repos? I'm trying to fix the situation
> (mostly so I can get the dmd bash tests to run there), but
> first I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong.

They use digger or (for the most part) give up building it on
Windows.
In case you are interested here are the steps required:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/.azure-pipelines/windows.sh (<- this is run by our CI)

https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Windows