Windows devs - how are you building dmd, druntime, phobos?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri Jul 26 08:50:56 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 July 2019 at 00:43:42 UTC, Exil wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 20:48:43 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> All other CIs are configured via their in-source YAMLs though.
>
> Yes because then contributors can actually make changes to the
> environment through the config files. Not like the stone-age
> autotester.
>
>> Also, the Auto-Tester just runs a defined Makefile target, so
>> it's not too hard to fix things with a single PR.
>
> This doesn't ensure the proper tools are installed. Like for
> example, if you wanted to build DMD with LDC2. Can't do that
> unless you have LDC2 installed on the machine. Can't install
> LDC2 on the machine without having access to it to do so.

Well, we already build DMD with LDC (on SemaphoreCI for Linux and
Azure Pipelines for Windows). And of those machines we just
download the LDC2 binaries, so no sudo installation required
there. I see your point for e.g. newer compiler releases though,
but all compiler/OS combinations on the auto-tester are still
officially supported.

We would like to replace the auto-tester, but so far no one else
has been willing to commit/donate the resources to do so (see the
fully dedicated build hosts it has:
https://auto-tester.puremagic.com/hosts).
Anyhow, even if people complain about it every now and then, it's
still surprisingly stable.