The year is 2019

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 12:07:04 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 July 2019 at 11:54:51 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

> Do you have a draft already regarding this on github? I don't
> mind helping creating the dip.

No, I'm sorry.  I'm still collecting information and exploring
ideas to build my case.  You mentioned in on one of the recent
PRs that you believe something like `opImplicitCast` could be
implemented without some of the drawbacks present in C++'s
implementation.  I'm interested in your ideas.

I need to make a strong case, so I'm exploring how to motivate my
idea and I'm trying to discover any holes in it.  There's also a
DMD bug I'd like to resolve before submitting a DIP.

In general, my idea is to create a more limited `alias this`-like
feature that will eliminate some of the "weird sh**" that comes
with `alias this` and only keep the good stuff.  Whatever's left
can be implemented with D's existing metaprogramming facilities.

I believe it could be approved because it will significantly
reduce the compiler's implementation and avoid a lot of bad
interactions.  I think that would be appealing to Walter and
others.

If you want to discuss it you're welcome to contact me on Slack,
Discord, or IRC under the handle JinShil and I'll give you all
the details of what I have in mind.

Mike