Windows devs - how are you building dmd, druntime, phobos?

John Burton john.burton at jbmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:12:10 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 13:12:58 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> For dmd, neither win32.mak or win64.mak work for me at all. I'm
> at a loss as to how they work for the autotester. Fortunately I
> learned about build.d on github, and that works fine.

Last week I had a little spare time and thought I'd see if I could
fix a very minor issue in D that I reported a while back. It
turned out
to be in druntime. I tried for several hours to build my changes
in druntime
and dmd using windows and various sets of instructions and trying
to work the
process out for myself but nothing seemed to work and eventually
I gave up.

The experience didn't exactly encourage me to go further with D
although I
understand it's not a priority for anyone to work on (and I still
think D and
it's community are generally great) so I'm not giving up (and
would still like
to know how to successfully build my changes on windows)