My Little Dustmite: Bisect is Magic

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:49:37 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 July 2019 at 15:02:43 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> Now, I could Dustmite my project. Which currently sits at 73 .d
> files and 6,447 lines of D code and growing. (There's more C#
> at the moment, but I autogenerate a bunch of it and depenency
> properties are responsible for a ton of pointless bloat - but
> that's a digression.) Throw in Binderoo as well since I can't
> use C# without Binderoo giving me bindings for my code. Copy it
> all off somewhere I won't touch and let it run for potentially
> days finding a minimal reproducible set.
>
> Or maybe I could spend the time to isolate and work out what
> makes the compiler do these weird things.
>
> Or I could do what I do daily in a production environment - fix
> or workaround the bug and get on trying to meet a deadline.

Fair enough. When I hit a situation like that, I do take the time
to dustmite things down and file a bug (and PR, if possible), but
I am very much blessed to have a boss who understands that if you
hit a bug, you can't really expect things to improve if you don't
file a report, and that my coworkers have patience for me to
wander off on a bug filing/fixing tangent.

On the other hand, a lot of our longstanding pain points with D
have actually gotten fixed, and none of that would have happened
if there hadn't been bug reports. If you're long-term committed
to a language, chances are that bug will show up again and waste
hours of your time again. At some point it becomes cheaper to
just file and fix it, instead of spending weeks of a new
coworker's onboarding time getting them up to speed on all the D
issues you've learnt to sidestep.

And no, this does not exactly say good things about D for
production use...