DMD or LDC on mobile

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sat Jul 27 08:52:19 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 17:07:03 UTC, Newbie2019 wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 14:08:20 UTC, Ethan wrote:
>

> I believe mobile hardware is get more and more powerful and
> necessary for everybody.  The next year Arm A77 and Apple A13
> will fast then laptop.
>
> This is a huge market and the largest number of user groups
> ever.
>   D core team should take mobile serious and provide basic
> support.
>
> The current status is limit support from LDC team,  and  about
> zero man hours investment into IOS for so many years(last
> release since 2015).
>
> Android in a better status, but we loss the key developer last
> year.
>

> Consider there is consider there is about five billion people
> use mobile every more than 2 hours every day, but  D language
> developer  investment zero man hours into IOS for so many years.
>
> I can't image how many opportunity is passed for D.

The lack of support for mobile (I first inquired about mobile
support in 2015) was the ultimate deal breaker for me. It's not
rocket science, one could see that mobile was getting more and
more important and people would ask if the software also worked
on mobile. The answer would be embarrassing, as in "No, but D has
CTFE and mixins."

So I _had_ to move on. I stopped all development in D and started
to rewrite the code in Kotlin (which btw was / is a real
pleasure).

I still can't get my head around the way mobile has been treated
by the leadership and parts of the community. It's so darn
obvious that mobile is important (e.g. gaming as the OP said) and
yet it is treated like an unimportant detail only some people
care about. Apparently D wants to compete with Go/Rust and
emulate their features. But the thing is that mobile development
attracts a huge crowd and D could clearly benefit from that, but
nobody seems to care. I wonder why that is. I really do wonder.
As the OP pointed out gaming + mobile is a huge market, but devs
are forced to use C++ instead. What a waste. And as for the "Then
DIY" brigade, no, mobile support should be clean and out of the
box, not a hack, because it's going to be a product. Therefore it
should be dealt with by the core team in order to have seamless
integration.