The year is 2019

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 00:46:26 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 at 16:12:35 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

> We shouldn't let Walter disapproval effect us. If we think it a
> really good idea then we should pursuit it.
>
> Walter thinks the opImplicitCast that we are proposing will be
> the same thing as C++. It isn't. C++ genius "idea" is to have
> implicit conversions opt-out rather then opt-in.

I salute you if you want to write a DIP, and I'll support in
whatever way I can.  I might even be able to do the initial
implementation, assuming I can figure it out.  That will help
motivate the DIP.

Manu appears to prefer adding an `@implicit` attribute to the
language for use on constructors and `opCast`.  I think that will
also work.

I was leaning towards building on `alias this` simply because
Walter has voiced opposition to implicit casting.  If we can get
implicit casting approved, that would actually be my preference.

I think the DIP will have to build a very strong case including
use cases and illustrating that it doesn't have the negative
consequences of C++.  Then it might have a chance.  If the DIP
fails, it will actually make any subsequent attempts just that
much more difficult to justify, so it will need to be a damn good
DIP.

Mike