Minimal druntime?

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 16:13:10 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 at 12:00:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I am referring to the ISO C89 subset of the ISO C++98
> programming language. which is now updated to the ISO C89 + ISO
> C11 libraries as of ISO C++17, and will be updated to some C90
> language constructs like aggregate initializers in ISO C++20.

Okay, but you understand that C++ was specifically designed as a
superset of C, right? It's the exact opposite of my point. C++
added features to C; HPC# and -betterC remove them from their
respective languages.

Your point that C is what you use to write faster code than C++
is also misguided. I regularly write much faster code in C++ than
I ever could in C thanks to heavy use of inlining and templates.
This is even more true historically on (for example) 32-bit
Windows systems, where the C ABI was very stack-heavy yet I could
use things like __fastcall to call functions with parameters in
registers and avoid the stack entirely.