Bug fix over a year old

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jun 3 20:17:02 UTC 2019

On 6/3/2019 12:52 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
> Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for
> some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not
> having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional
> behaviour to me.

I agree that closing a bug report or a PR is inappropriate if done for the
following reasons:

1. marketing
2. anger (this has happened to us now and then)
3. age

I did create a special label "Phantom Zone" to place PRs in that still have
value even if they are not appropriate to pull. For example, maybe the time just
hasn't come for it yet, or there's useful information in it that can help a
future better solution.

---

Irrelevant story time:

Back in the 80s, I kept a bug list as a simple text file (yes, I'm that old, I
wasn't even using email yet as a bug database). I included the file with the
compiler on the shipped disks (yes, that is really old, too, and Pony Express
was the preferred shipping method, the Amazon Prime of the 1980s). One computer
magazine did a "compiler roundup" article, and they destroyed my compiler by
simply copy/pasting that text file as their "review".

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind, however, about
hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.