Bug fix over a year old

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 21:53:54 UTC 2019

On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 19:07:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/28/2019 10:28 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121
>>
>> It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.
>> I recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the
>> re-organization someone would look at it.  Could someone take
>> a look?
>>

> There's no purpose to closing things on github just because
> they've aged below the fold.

The purpose was to remove it from my "Pull Request" list on
Github so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.  It's quite
frustrating to submit bug fixes for things you need to be fixed
and then have no one respond to them for months.  So rather than
having to look at that pull request and be reminded of that
frustration everyday, after a few months I decided to close it to
relieve that frustration.

Luckily now people are looking at my pull requests.  Thanks to
TheWilsonator, Seb (wilzbach), Mike Franklin (jinshil), Jacob
Carlborg.  The hope was that because of the recent re-org and
changes that maybe now I could get the bug fix in.

Of course I still have to deal with the frustration of being
misunderstood.  I spend alot of time explaining what my pull
requests are doing but much of the time people don't seem to read
the full description and/or related links (i.e. forum
posts/bugzilla) before deciding to voice their opposition to the
change. It's a very frustrating position to be in as I have no
recourse.