[GSoC] 'Independency of D from the C Standard Library' progress and update thread

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jun 4 01:32:49 UTC 2019

On 6/3/19 9:11 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> Yes, the motivation could be improved, but the time for motivating this
> project was 2 months ago, not now.  Now the project is underway, and we
> need to see it to completion.  The focus now should be on providing
> feedback on the implementations not the rationale/motivation.

Mike, you must understand this is a terrible argument. It should never
be made again. It is in fact the only part about your response that
makes me genuinely worried. Benchmarks look good.

This is not a pregnancy. Any time is good for asking about the
motivation, and the difference 2 months make goes in favor of the
student and mentor is that the answers to questions about the motivation
are only stronger, clearer, and more convincing. I've seen PhD
candidates roasted over their motivation (literally their "thesis",
which means "proposition") on their DEFENSE day after years of hard
work. It is not the fault of the person asking.