[GSoC] Dataframes for D

Prateek Nayak lelouch.cpp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 03:13:03 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 09:41:59 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 09:06:58 UTC, welkam wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Im not familiar with data frames but this sounds like array of
>> structs
>
> I think I was thinking of it more like a struct of arrays, but
> I think an array of structs may also work (see my responses to
> Prateek)...

Due to the popularity of heterogeneous DataFrames, we decided to
take care of it the early stages of development before it's too
late.

The heterogeneous DataFrame is now live at:
https://github.com/Kriyszig/magpie/tree/experimental

Some parts are still under development but the goals in the road
maps will be reached on time.

---------------------------------
Summing up the first week of GSoC
---------------------------------

* Base and file I/O ops were built for homogeneous DataFrame
* Based on the type of data community has worked with, it seemed
evident homogeneous DataFrames weren't gonna cut it. So a rebuild
was initiated over the weekend to allow for heterogeneous data.
* The API was overhauled to allow for Heterogeneous DataFrames.
* New parser that can parse selective columns.

The code will land in master once it's cleaned up and is deemed
stable.

-----------------------------------
Things that will be dealt this week
-----------------------------------

This week will be for:

* Improving Parser
* Overhaul code structure (in Experimental)
* Adding setters for data and index in DataFrame
* Adding functions to create a multi-indexed DataFrame, the same
way one can do in Python.
* Adding Documentation and examples
* Index Operations
* Retrieve rows and columns

The last one will set in motion the implementation of Column
Binary ops of the form:
df["Index1"] = df["Index2"] + df["Index3"];

Meanwhile if you guys have any more suggestion please feel free
to contact me - you can use this thread, open an issue on Github,
reach out to me on slack (Prateek Nayak) or you can email me
directly (lelouch.cpp at gmail.com)