[GSoC] 'Independency of D from the C Standard Library' progress and update thread

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Wed Jun 5 03:00:13 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 01:21:20 UTC, Stefanos Baziotis
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 01:14:26 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 at 00:22:08 UTC, Stefanos Baziotis
>>
>> I benchmarked the older rte_memcpy here
>> (https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/blob/60a3df650d523bd2e4bb4f77f9278f25f7f1a65c/lib/librte_eal/common/include/arch/x86/rte_memcpy.h) on a Linux virtual machine and rte_mempcy was quite a bit faster than libc.  It's worth a deeper look.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Our Dmemcpy is faster than libc on a Linux virtual machine too.
> :p
>
> But yes, again, take what I said with a grain of salt, it's
> just an assumption. Indeed it deserves greater analysis.

How did you compile the code? GCC and Clang both target baseline
x64, to use features like AVX2 you have to enable them, that of
course means that not all CPUs will be able to run the code,
though it will run faster on those that do.

I'd say this should include ARM as well, but there's one D
compiler that doesn't support it so...