DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:22:17 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 at 20:10:06 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 June 2019 at 20:04:09 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
>> On Thursday, 6 June 2019 at 19:17:38 UTC, Jonathan Marler
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> This has been brought up in the discussion regarding named
>> arguments for DIP1020 (more specifically the @named attribute)
>> and so far I am not convinced that this is an issue that needs
>> to be address, and found it be be overblown given that we have
>> powerful rename tools at this day of age.
>>
>> Having it "opt-in" have it own downsides as the users have to
>> request library developers to add the capability to their
>> libraries. Among many other issues that were brought up and
>> discuss with "opt-in"ing DIP1020.
>>
>> Alex
>
> Rename tools are irrelevant as they only work when you're in a
> single project.
No, they are not irrelevant, that what C# developers such as
myself use when the named argument name has been change.

>  Exposing the parameters names of every function would mean the
> we would pretty much need to keep all the parameter names in
> every function in druntime/phobos, otherwise we would break
> compatibility.

We have a deprecated attribute for a very good reason.

> Far to high of a cost just to allow some cases to be more
> readable.

I strongly reject this claim, due to the lack to evidence. I
encounter no apocalypse scenario when it comes to unable to named
arguments in the C# community which you can not opt it out.

Alex