DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Thu Jun 6 20:25:32 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 at 20:10:06 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> Far to high of a cost just to allow some cases to be more
> readable.  However, if you make it opt-in, then you don't have
> to pay that cost for EVERY function, you only increase coupling
> in the cases that make sense.

Making it optional makes it useless. Name the programming
languages that implement named parameters this way, and I'll give
a giant list of ones that don't. You can make this exact argument
for basically structs and everything else. When you use a library
you are at the mercy of it's owner. I've seen some people
maintain an API that just literally changed the style so
basically every single line that used that API now had to be
updated. It was a minor version too 3.0 -> 3.1. Let the user
decide when those cases are for themselves, and they do so
knowing the risk, like with everything else they may have to
update their code to match.

There's already enough attributes, we shouldn't be adding more
needlessly. I don't think this is a good enough reason to.