DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 11:30:02 UTC 2019

On Friday, 7 June 2019 at 05:37:25 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> I think there are pros and cons to exposing all parameters
> names to all callers.

We already have this though.

> If I want to keep my parameters names private so that I can
> change them without breaking compatibility, I have no way to do
> it.

Actually, you could use a .di file. The parameter names are not
in the function mangle (and even if they were, it could be
handled, like the extern(objective-c) @selector thing), so you
can call it one thing in your code and something else in the
distributed interface file.

You could also use public names on the outside and immediately
alias them to something else inside a function.

It is just, again, we *already have* the names exposed (and
already have ways to ignore them). So it isn't taking something
previously totally hidden and opening it.