Notarization is required by default in macOS 10.15

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Fri Jun 7 14:05:56 UTC 2019

On Friday, 7 June 2019 at 11:35:41 UTC, Bogdan Szabo wrote:
> Hey! Are you aware about this new change for macOS? I noticed
> that none of the mac installers are signed with apple
> certificates,which might be a problem in the future.
>
> Beginning in macOS 10.14.5, all new or updated kernel
> extensions and all software from developers new to distributing
> with Developer ID must be notarized in order to run. Beginning
> in macOS 10.15, notarization is required by default for all
> software.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution

Not a Mac user at all, but still curious: wouldn't you have to
disable that check on a development machine? Every executable
coming out of your build tools is going to miss a signature.

And if - as the grapewine has it - notarization requires an Apple
ID with two factor authentication enabled, I don't think that any
developer is going to want automatic signing for iterative builds
during their normal work cycle.

So, although signed release builds would be great, is it really
that much of a showstopper as far as D is concerned?