DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sat Jun 8 19:02:14 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 8 June 2019 at 06:44:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/5/19 9:03 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> This is the feedback thread for the second round of Community
>> Review for DIP 1019, "Named Arguments Lite":
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/9c9cc39246de4c449fe1e6cb6b27f7e426ff1eb9/DIPs/DIP1019.md
>
> Things that I think would make this DIP stronger:
>
> * The presence of the feature in other programming languages
> belongs in "rationale" if also the rationale pertaining to
> those other languages is present. Otherwise it's argument by
> majority. Normally "rationale" would stand on its own (possibly
> using examples drawn/inspired from other languages) and mention
> of other languages would go in the "related work" section
> (which presently is missing).

Given that there are a fair number of programming languages that
have implemented named parameters, it might make sense to go a
bit further and provide a summary of the different goals and
approaches that have been used elsewhere. That would make it
easier to compare the proposal to related efforts. There may well
be published papers that provide such comparisons. A starting
point list of languages with named parameters can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_parameter

--Jon