Speeding up importing Phobos files

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jun 8 22:19:16 UTC 2019

> On 6/8/19 5:23 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> It should have been. The old std.algorithm was a monster of 10,000 LOC
>> that caused the compiler to exhaust my RAM and thrash on swap before
>> dying horribly, when building unittests. It was an embarrassment.
>
> The appropriate response would have been (and still is) to fix the
> compiler. A more compact working set will also accelerate execution due
> to better locality.

Sheesh, this is *exactly* the sort of "Perfection is the enemy of the
good" foot-shooting that's been keeping D years behind where it could be.

In D1 days, things got fixed and improved quickly. But now, problems
that have a working solution available remain unfixed for years just
because "there's a better way to do it, but it takes far more work,
isn't going to ready anytime soon, there or may or may not even be
anyone active being working on it."

A fix in master is worth two in the bush.