DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jun 9 07:55:50 UTC 2019

On 6/8/19 3:58 PM, Yuxuan Shui wrote:

> Reordering is definitely a very important feature. However, this
> proposal is not going to be the last DIP about named parameters, as is
> stressed in the proposal itself.
>
> Generally, I think incremental improvements should be allowed.

Sadly my vast and mostly unsuccessful experience with programming
language design is that such is not to be done incrementally. Never. I
will oppose a DIP that argues its utility by means of possible future
DIPs. (For measure, don't forget I do not hold decision power any
longer.) For named arguments, I very strongly believe that any DIP that
does not allow reordering is a stillborn.