DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Community Review Round 2

aliak something at something.com
Sun Jun 9 11:15:39 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 at 07:51:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/8/19 2:05 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> I see value in allowing a caller to omit arguments that have
>> default values, but what is the value in allowing the caller
>> to reorder them?
>
> Named arguments is useful mainly so one doesn't need to
> remember their order in large argument lists.

When has anyone had a problem with unreorderable named arguments
in functions with large argument lists?

After using languages with unreorderable and reorderable named
parameters. I only see a very mild benefit of programmer laziness
for reorderable, and the larger downside of reader annoyance.
I've felt no downsides of unreorderable (you generally look at
the documentation, and type it in param by param, or copy paste
the declaration, and if you get it wrong, the compiler tells you
and you fix it).