Can we just have struct inheritence already?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jun 10 09:50:30 UTC 2019

On 6/9/2019 3:03 PM, Manu wrote:
> I can form a misuse fail for practically any language feature.
> It's possible we identify some common-sense restrictions here to
> inhibit the worst of them, but the current restriction is
> anti-productive, the line in the sand is drawn incorrectly.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, who misuses a feature is thoroughly convinced
their use is productive. For an ancient example:

     #define BEGIN {
     #define END }

Yep. That. :-) And it's not remotely the worst abuse of the preprocessor I've
seen, all of which are stoutly defended.

> For contrast, I've been arguing on bug reports recently that people
> think interactions with uninitialised unions (or =void initialised
> code) is @safe... 🤯🤯🤯
> which just shows how astonishingly arbitrary this shit is.

Uninitialized non-pointers are @safe, because @safe refers to memory safety, not
"no bugs". Perhaps I was wrong to define it that way, but it is deliberate, and
not arbitrary.