gRPC / http2

David J Kordsmeier dkords at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 16:04:05 UTC 2019

On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 16:16:02 UTC, zoujiaqing wrote:
> On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 14:50:14 UTC, lagfra wrote:
>> On 06/03 01:35, zoujiaqing via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> http library for DLang, support http 1.1 / http 2.0 /
>>> websocket server and client, support SSL / TLS channel( use
>>> openssl ):
>>>
>>> https://github.com/huntlabs/hunt-http
>> Regarding HTTP/2: what parts of RFC 7540 do you currently
>> implement? It would be nice to share ideas regarding those
>> details which are only broadly described (e.g. HTTP/2 Stream
>> prioritization).
>>

> I think hunt-http now implements 100% of the http2 protocol.
>
> You can publish your requirements for hunt-http.

Thank you @zoujiaqing for chiming in about hunt-http!  I think
the D community needs to stop putting vibe-d as the only answer
for all things http server/web framework.  This is not a critique
of the vibe-d, it's a viable option.  But there is risk with only
one viable option.  It makes the D community look barren, and it
is hard to take the language seriously for enterprise use because
there are not a plethora of web frameworks ranging from highly
opinionated full stack web frameworks down to simple small
frameworks (i.e. web.py style).  Kudos to Huntlabs in their
effort to fill this void.  We can all help by supplementing docs,
reporting bugs (it's hard supporting a bunch of different OSs,
and bug reports help achieve that), and providing constructive
feedback.

At some point, I will get my own web framework released, I wrote
on top of libuv a few years back.  I was scratching my own itch.
It was done for a commercial project, but there is no reason I
can't release it.  I've held back because to use a web framework
seriously, the stack has to cover so many aspects of the web,
it's a lot to cover, especially security.  And it was a messy
first effort at writing code in D.  In any case, I think just
putting a different idea out there is a way to help contribute to
the diversity of offerings.