Struggling to implement parallel foreach...

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Jun 17 22:32:53 UTC 2019

On 17.06.19 22:11, Manu wrote:

> Everything I need to make a strong case revolves around shared; and
> since nobody on this forum seems to know what to do with shared (we've
> been arguing about it and doing exactly nothing for the 10 years I've
> been watching),

Lack of activity doesn't imply lack of knowledge, it can just be lack of
management.

There is too little activity for most issues with the language that require:
a) breaking a ton of code
b) adding a new data qualifier

It is worse if a) and b) are combined with a high specification and
implementation effort and nobody who can spend enough time on the
compiler has an in-depth understanding of what needs to be done in every
corner of the language.

I know multiple options for what to do, but they involve either a) or
b). So do your suggestions. This is why there hasn't been enough
activity, it is not a lack of theoretical understanding from every
single forum poster.

> I think I'm uniquely positioned to move the bar
> forward here and make something that's actually useful, and
> demonstrated what shared is actually for.

I think you have useful perspectives on the application side and the
prioritization of issues to help adoption in your industry, but this
does not always translate to useful insights on language design. Our
conversations should involve more of you talking about important
applications and me talking about language design.

Of course, this is all useless unless someone writes DIPs and someone
implements them.