Things I learned the hard way

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Wed Jun 19 02:41:31 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 19 June 2019 at 01:15:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://blog.juliobiason.net/thoughts/things-i-learnt-the-hard-way/
>
> Debuggers are over-rated
> I heard a lot of people complaining that code editors that
> don't come with debugging are terrible, exactly because they
> don't come with debugging.
>
> But when your code is in production, you can't run your
> favorite debugger. Heck, you can't even run your favourite IDE.
> But logging... Logging runs everywhere. You may not have the
> information you want at the time of the crash (different
> logging levels, for example) but you can enable logging to
> figure out something later.
>
> (Not saying debuggers are bad, they just not as helpful as most
> people would think.)

This I don't agree with. Maybe specifically for his job it might
not have been. If you are more of a tech support and you need to
remote into a customer's computer and use whatever they have
available on their computer, sure. But I doubt that's the case
for a large majority of programmers. Also you can debug a crash
that happened on a customer's computer for a native production
application with a stack trace. You might be missing some
variables because it is a production build that were optimized
away but you still get a lot of relevant information.