Multiple alias this, what's the hold up?

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 06:05:31 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 19 June 2019 at 05:53:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:09:24 PM MDT Mike Franklin via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 at 22:51:51 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>> > It definitely looks like a DIP would be required for
>> > multiple alias this-es to become a thing, and whatever was
>> > in the DIP would have to convince Walter that it doesn't
>> > have the problems that multiple inheritance has.
>>
>> DIP66 (https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP66) was already created and
>> approved.  Did you have something else in mind?
>
> Given Walter's more recent statements on the matter, it doesn't
> sound like it's approved anymore. He's repeatedly compared
> having multiple alias this-es to multiple inheritance and
> expressed that it's a bad idea.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

It's fair to say that multiple alias this and multiple
inheritance have similarities, but some have argued that the "bad
parts" of multiple inheritance don't apply to 'alias this' (i.e.
the "Diamond Problem").  I'm hoping Walter will reveal what
problems he claims apply to both as I haven't seen anyone else
point them out yet.