What would a minimal subset of D look like?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 08:41:36 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 at 06:55:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I am wondering, what would a minimal subset of D look like?
> Something that would make the syntax/semantics look simple to a
> newbie wanting to do embedded programming, yet be useful.
> Let's assume that we are already limited to the better-C subset.
>
> What are the "must have" features?  I assume that "static if"
> ranks high for most D users, but what else?

I have a few ideas for removing many features of D, preferring
library implementations instead, but base on your preface, I
think that is a different goal than what you have in mind.  I get
the impression you're looking for something more like Microsoft's
Bosque Language:  https://github.com/Microsoft/BosqueLanguage

If you want something simple for a newbie, I think any
metaprogramming features are off the table.  But maybe I don't
understand what you're really looking for.

Mike