What would a minimal subset of D look like?

Yatheendra 3df4 at gmail.ru
Sat Jun 22 09:25:58 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 at 09:03:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The wording "newbie" was unfortunate, I meant for some new to
> the language, but not new to embedded programming.  So we could
> assume that they know a language for embedded programming like
> C, C++ or Rust already.
>

> What are the essential features?  Or, which ones are less
> essential, e.g. I don't really see the need for hex strings,
> but maybe they are very useful to others.
>
> Maybe this is a better phrasing: how simple can D be made
> without feeling limited when doing embedded programming or low
> level systems programming?

I'm no embedded programmer, but a possible addition (not removal)
might be statically proving bounds safety & reduce/avoid runtime
bounds checking on array access; can D or Rust do that? Ada
should be able to, with its integer range types. Actually it will
have benefits beyond embedded as disabling bounds checking in
release builds would no longer be justifiable.