What would a minimal subset of D look like?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 09:31:25 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 at 08:41:36 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> I have a few ideas for removing many features of D, preferring
> library implementations instead, but base on your preface, I
> think that is a different goal than what you have in mind.

Btw, I'd love to hear these ideas, my first post gave the wrong
impression of what I am after.

I am indeed interested in what can be done effectively with meta
programming library types instead of language features (possibly
with syntactic sugar if it is frequently used).

I've toyed with my own ideas that would make templated library
types for array (yes, even arrays), volatile, ownership,
non-modular integers etc. But nothing serious at this stage.

If there are generally useful patterns that could be done as a
library then that would be very interesting.

One possible pattern, that is not covered by D, is static
allocation in memory tight settings. I.e. you have typed
allocation, but limited to e.g. 256 live objects. So you don't
get memory fragmentation and out-of-memory issues that can arise
with malloc.