What would a minimal subset of D look like?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 09:57:30 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 at 09:03:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The wording "newbie" was unfortunate, I meant for some new to
> the language, but not new to embedded programming.  So we could
> assume that they know a language for embedded programming like
> C, C++ or Rust already.
>

> What are the essential features?  Or, which ones are less
> essential, e.g. I don't really see the need for hex strings,
> but maybe they are very useful to others.
>
> Maybe this is a better phrasing: how simple can D be made
> without feeling limited when doing embedded programming or low
> level systems programming?

I could get by with structs, basic types, functions, and typical
flow-control features of any language.  I wouldn't enjoy it,
though, for anything complex.  When things start getting complex,
that's when I want to be able to utilize the modeling and
metaprogramming features of a language.  So the features I would
prefer would probably depend greatly on the complexity of the
project I was working on and the resource constraints of the
platform.

That is why I think the opt-in continuum
(https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7j4sl$17pe$1@digitalmars.com) that
Andrei mentioned a while back is so important.  It allows one to
scale up with the complexity of the project and/or the available
resources of the platform.

Mike