The DIP Process

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Fri Mar 1 07:02:09 UTC 2019

On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 05:24:25 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> See? This is what happens when you introduce
> bureaucracy/red-tape to problems. You get the same problems,
> just with much slower progress.

Bureaucracy is arguable unavoidable.  At this kind of scale
(really, more than 5-10 people or so), what we need is _maximally
efficient_ bureaucracy.  We can't get rid of the cruft, the
arbitrariness, the red tape, only replace it with new cruft
that's hopefully smaller.  The solution space is constrained to
bureaucratic solutions

> The test suite is going to do a ****FAAAAARRRR**** better job
> of rooting out technical problems than five years of
> human-review.

This requires a disproportionate amount of work to implement the
DIP, which is wasted if the DIP is not accepted.  Not to mention,
it raises the barrier of entry to a would-be DIP author -- now,
you have to know or learn compiler internals too!