[OT] Unity's HPC#

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:43:13 UTC 2019

On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 06:54:07 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> But on a side note, this makes me think: We could *really* use
> a different format for all this argumentative stuff. Forums are
> too transient. What we need is something like a Wiki, but
> organized like this:
>
> - Ideas
>    - Arguments For/Against, and/or possible Cautions
>       - Rebuttals
>          - Counter-Rebuttals
>
> ...For everything, all in one canonical place. Wouldn't that be
> nice? I get so tired of everyone's arguments about everything
> having no viewable structure whatsoever...it's no wonder
> nobody's arguments ever get anywhere!!! This would be so much
> more practical as a standard base-of-operations for (hopefully)
> a meritocracy, don't you think?

It's not a bad idea.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that online communities
have entropy: they get more and more disorderly as time goes on,
unless you put a constant amount of effort into keeping them
ordered.

So your "arguments and rebuttals" wiki would likely get abandoned
after a while, unless someone (probably Mike Parker) spends
active effort making sure it's organized and directing the people
with the skill to write structured idea to the wiki, etc... which
is effort they're not spending on doing something else.

Again, not a bad idea, but keep in mind: keeping a community
structured is expensive.