DIP 1018--The Copy Constructor--Final Review

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 2 18:33:02 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:41:42PM +0000, Kagamin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> This is why design decisions should have explanations, otherwise
> people will guess the explanation, and they will guess incorrectly,
> and they will believe in what they guessed, and they will resist to
> change their beliefs, much pain ensues, it already happened, and keeps
> going.
[...]

Exactly!!!

Every design decision should have its rationale well-documented, in an
easily-accessible (and findable) place. That way people won't be forced
to keep guessing.  Ideally, the spec on dlang.org should include such
explanations, in addition to specifying the language itself.

Having such explanations attached to each design decision will also help
us re-evaluate a decision later on when there's a need to change
something.  Otherwise we forget how we got there, and are doomed to
repeat the mistakes of the past.

Why do conspiracy theories always come from the same people??