[gsoc] DUB - Ideas

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sat Mar 2 20:42:56 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 at 15:50:49 UTC, Seb wrote:
> @community: what features do you miss the most from DUB?

Dub support for building code.dlang.org packages with LDC's LTO.
The idea would be to support something analogous to the way LDC
provides LTO support for druntime and phobos. See
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.9.0 for a
description.

Building with LTO against druntime/phobos is a substantial
performance win for certain classes of programs. This would
likely hold true for a number of code.dlang.org packages as well.
My benchmarks involving druntime/phobos are here:
https://github.com/eBay/tsv-utils/blob/master/docs/lto-pgo-study.md.

LDC supports druntime/phobos by shipping these prebuilt as LTO
libraries (with IR code). For  packages it probably makes more
sense to build them from source after being downloaded.

This is probably not a long project, but it might fit well as
part of a suite of Dub changes. Dub may well have the necessary
facilities already, I'm not sure, but this is not supported in a
straightforward manner. There are likely some open questions, for
example, should the package provider mark whether package
supports LTO or not.